Want to win a 12 month Gedling Leisure membership worth £400? Take our survey for your chance to win.

Selective Licensing

From 1st October 2018 all privately rented homes in the Netherfield ward will require a licence from Gedling Borough Council, the scheme is known as ‘Selective Licensing’. Please apply for a licence before the 1st November 2018 to avoid enforcement action for failure to licence a property.

Before you begin the application, please read the Application Guide  which explains what supporting documents you will need, contains information on applying for multiple properties and detailed information on how to apply.

The application should take approximately 45 minutes to complete.

Apply now 〉

If you have already started and saved an application, you will need to log in here to continue.


Message to selective licence applicants

If you are a selective licence applicant and have received an email from Idox, our application provider stating that your application has been deleted please be assured that it hasn't.

If you have submitted and paid for the application it has NOT been deleted and we are currently working on them.

The email that has been sent out relates to any applications which have been saved as a draft and has remained inactive for 30 days.


Paper application

If you would like to pay by cheque or in cash you will need to complete a paper based application, which will cost an additional £60 per application. If you would like us to check through your application, you can book an appointment with our Customer Service Advisors by calling 0115 901 3971

To request a paper application pack email enquiries@gedling.gov.uk

Frequently Asked Questions

For more information you can read our Frequently asked questions guide, email enquiries@gedling.gov.uk or call our Customer Services Advisors on 0115 901 3971. You can also read our Public Protection Privacy Notice.

Licence Costs

The licence fee will be collected in two parts. Part one when you apply and part two when the application is processed.

Online application and licence fees

Landlord type

Part 1 fee

Part 2 fee


Accredited Landlords




Non Accredited Landlords




 Paper application and licence fees

Landlord type

Part 1 fee

Part 2 fee


Accredited Landlords




Non Accredited Landlords




The costs spread over the 5 years of the scheme are less than £2 per week for accredited landlords and less than £2.50 per week for non-accredited landlords.

We accept debit and credit card payments online. You can pay by cash or cheque if you apply by a paper form subject to an additional £60 fee.

Landlord Accreditation

To become accredited, Landlords can apply for free to join the DASH Accreditation scheme. Landlords must contact DASH by 1st November 2018 and be fully accredited by the 30thNovember 2018.

See website www.dashservices.org.uk or call 01332 641 111

Licensable properties

The scheme applies to any house* which is let or occupied under a tenancy or licence within the area outlined in the interactive map here.

*Note - a ‘house’ is defined by section 99 of the Housing Act 2004 as a building or part of a building consisting of one or more ‘dwellings’. A ‘dwelling’ means a building or part of a building occupied or intended to be occupied as a separate dwelling.

The scheme applies to any house occupied under tenancy or licence unless: 

  1. The house is a house in multiple occupation and is required to be licensed under Part 2 of the Act; or
  2. The house is subject to a temporary exemption under section 86 of the Act; or
  3. The house is subject to a management order under Chapter 1 or 2 of Part 4 of the Act; or
  4. The tenancy or licence of the house has been granted by a non-profit registered provider of social housing, a profit-making registered provider of social housing in respect of social housing (within the meaning of Part 2 of the Housing and Regeneration Act 2008), or a body which is registered as a social landlord under Part 1 of the Housing Act 1996; or
  5. The tenancy or licence of the house or a dwelling contained in the house is defined as an exempt tenancy or licence within the meaning of The Selective Licensing of Houses (Specified Exemptions) (England) Order 2006

Notification of properties that should be licensed

We are keen to ensure all properties that should be licensed are. If you have any further details about a property you feel should be licensed please supply us the details using our online form and we will follow up as necessary.